Monday, August 6, 2012

Pottery Barn Inspired Gallery Wall!

I was flipping through the newest Pottery Barn catalog when I came across a gallery wall I liked. I had always wanted to create one, and decided I would use the PB one as my inspiration.



This is the photo:




There are a few things I like about it. I like the "letters" theme and the use of white mats. Also, the way the pictures are hung in columns. But, I wanted to use only letters that mean something to me, and pictures that have some significance.


I found this photo from a 2010 PB catalog:






I like this one, too. Especially the addition of the letter N. And, I like that both galleries are above pieces of furniture.


Here is the wall in my office. At one time, I had photos on the top shelf, and various objets d'art throughout the bookcase. Then I adopted Eddie, the kitten. His favorite thing to do was knock stuff off my shelves.


So, I put all my stuff in decorative boxes:






Over the last couple of years, I have purchased a few large letters. It's amazing how many times the only letter on the clearance shelves at stores was E. I took it as a sign that I was supposed to own them. Then, after I got married  a year ago, I would run across a G or two (my new last initial) so I purchased those, too. I wanted to incorporate them into my gallery.

Off I went to Goodwill to buy frames. I wanted to use black, white, and gold frames and use white mats only. I did wind up painting a few of the frames, and two of the letters. For five frames (I used two I already had) I paid less than $10. Add paint and mats, and the whole project cost less than $20!



Here is my new gallery wall:


















I found this G at Goodwill for $1! I just love it!







I highly recommend using the tracing method for hanging your gallery wall. Roll out paper on the floor and arrange the pictures where you want them.




Trace them and put dots where the nails need to be. Then tape the paper to the wall and hammer in the nails! Pull the paper down and start adding your pictures! Works every time!




This was an easy and inexpensive project!

I'll be joining the following parties!

Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Spotlight Saturday at Classy Clutter
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different, Act Normal
Saturday 7 at Positively Splendid
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Nifty Thrift Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Your Cozy Home Party at Cozy Home Scenes
You're Gonna Love it Tuesday at Kathe with an E
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Creative Blogger's Party at Homemaker on a Dime
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Tutes and Tips not to be Missed at Home Stories A to Z
DIY Project Parade at DIY Showoff
Show 'n Share at Southern Lovely
Rustic Restorations Party at Homespun Happenings
Pinspired Rewired at Southern Lovely
Grace At Home at Imparting Grace
Before & After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick

Be sure to visit my sister's blog at Robin Flies South...

23 comments:

Kayla said...

This looks great.. Love that you got this great Pottery Barn look for less than $20! :)

-Kayla
http://whateverislovely-blog.com/

Judy Biggerstaff said...

I love your new wall of letters and photos. It is great to be inspired then be able to complete the look you want. Also like the paper tip you shared.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your gallery and all the letters are fantastic. Great job. Looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh my goodness, such great gallery look for less than $20!!!!!! Can't get any better, it looks wonderful!
FABBY

GinaE said...

I'm new to your blog. Just wanted to say your letter wall turned out great! My initials are the same only E for the last name and G for the first. I also had to put all the "stuff" on my office/craft space shelves in boxes for my new kitten, Toffee. Hugs to Eddie!

Ethereal PLUS what I Love said...

This came out wonderful ... I love it :) Letters add so much fun to a space:)
Your newest follower, Francine
PS I would love for you to join my Monthly button swap party(it is up and running). It would be great to have you!

Brandi said...

Your gallery wall looks so good! I love the mix of black and white frames with the gold. Beautiful job!

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the party at Coastal Charm.... your gallery wall looks fantastic! I love the letters you used! I have a few gallery walls in my home, too! :) Great job!

sara @ applestonedrive.blogspot.com

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, i love that! there's something so clean and fancy about it, to me.

Unknown said...

Love how this looks and I love Pottery Barn so this style is so me! Stopping over from a blog hop and am now following you! Feel free to follow back www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi there! I guess great minds do think alike! I love your wall with the letters and your tip on how to hang them is right on! It turned out fabulous. :)

Laura

Connie said...

I love your wall and that letter "G" from the Goodwill is a treasure. I believe that we have a lot in common when it comes to creating a home and I am ready to follow your blog, but when I hit the follow button it left me hanging up above the list. Do come over for a visit and let me know whether I am on your list or not. If not, I'll just have to try again. I am looking forward to getting to know you better through blogging and sharing ideas. Have a marvelous day, Connie :)

Unknown said...

WOW - I like yours best by far,
What a beautiful job.
Thanks for coming by and following I am now following you as well
XOXO

Shabby Brocante, Karen said...

That looks fantastic! You did an excellent job! I love everything. You scored on the $1 "G" from Goodwill. It's my favorite!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

I love it! You did a great job!

myblackfriendsays said...

the wall looks great!

Maria Elena said...

Love your gallery! Looks amazing!

Unknown said...

love it those are some awesome thrifty finds your wall looks amazing

Recreate and Decorate said...

Great job! looks very much like Pottery Barn!

Diann said...

I love your new wall! You did a beauitful job. So much prettier than PB! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a fantastic weekend!

The Charm of Home said...

Fabulous! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fabrik ETC said...

A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work.
Curtain