Sunday, August 26, 2012

Daughter's Apartment-Project Two!

This is the second in a series of projects I am doing for my daughter's apartment! Last week, in case you missed it, I made pillows for her sofa and love seat. If you would like to see it, there will be a link at the end of this post.

Thank you for joining me on this decorating adventure!


I decided to look for a hall tree for her entry. Originally, I wanted a wooden one with a bench, but they were too wide for the space. I found a wrought iron one on craigslist (bought from Pier One) and it was just the right size (and a lot cheaper).







As you can see, it doesn't have a cushion, so I decided to make one. I am not even close to being a DIY expert, so I checked out a few blogs and videos on how to make a cushion. The one that helped me the most was sewwoodsy. Here is what the project looked like when I got started.



Fabric (facing down), batting, foam, and plywood.




Now, I am really good at taking something simple and making it difficult. This project was no exception. I decided to add tufting...and fabric covered buttons.



After I pushed the needle through the wood and other layers, I went through the button and back through the wood. I gently pulled, and stapled the string down.





It was worth the trouble! Isn't it cute?



I got to use my new stapler which I bought years ago but never used. I really gave it a workout!




Here is the finished cushion!


If you want to see it on the bench, you will have to wait for the final reveal of my daughter's apartment!

 Cost for this cushion project: less than $20!




I'll be joining the following parties!

Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Spotlight Saturday at Classy Clutter
Show and Tell Saturday at Be Different, Act Normal
Saturday 7 at Positively Splendid
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Sunday Showcase at Under the Table and Dreaming
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Made By You Monday at Skip to my Lou
Nifty Thrift Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Your Cozy Home Party at Cozy Home Scenes
You're Gonna Love it Tuesday at Kathe with an E
Transformation Thursday at Shabby Creek Cottage
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Creative Blogger's Party at Homemaker on a Dime
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Tutes and Tips not to be Missed at Home Stories A to Z
DIY Project Parade at DIY Showoff
Show 'n Share at Southern Lovely
Rustic Restorations Party at Homespun Happenings
Pinspired Rewired at Southern Lovely
Grace At Home at Imparting Grace
Before & After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick

4 comments:

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Great job! I know it's going to look fabulous when you pull it all together!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Lucky girl -- what a mom!

Robin said...

Came out great. I love the fabric and the covered buttons (perfectly mathced to the fabric, of course!) make it look very custom.

Robin
Robin Flies South

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

It's perfect. Love the covered buttons! Thank you for sharing this at Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House