Saturday, April 28, 2012

Burlap Gift Wrap!

Our mother taught us that you don't show up at someone's house without a gift. During the winter months, I like to give candles. I wrap them in tissue paper or tulle and add a ribbon. In the warmer months, I like to give a potted plant, preferably one in full bloom. Most people like to choose their own pots or they wind up planting them in the ground. For this reason, I came up with an easy, inexpensive way to wrap the plant.



I am all about easy and fast, and preferably no sewing or glueing! Even better is if you already have what you need! Start with burlap, cut into a circle. I used a pizza tray and traced it with a sharpie.



Fold up the edge (about an inch and a half) and pin it.



Do this all the way around until it looks like this.



Using your scissors, cut a small slit in the edge. Do this all the way around, about two inches apart.



Next, you will need a length of ribbon and a safety pin. Fold over the end of the ribbon and attach safety pin.


Remove the pins and weave the ribbon in and out of the slits.


The ribbon should be long enough to go around the circle with at least a few inches left.


Flip the burlap over so that the ribbon ends are underneath, and place the plant in the middle.



Pull the ends of the ribbons while stretching the burlap over the container. Tie a bow and then go back and space out your pleats until you are happy with the way it looks.




The shape of the container doesn't matter, but you do need to make sure the burlap is large enough to cover it.



Yes, the white ribbon is boring, but all I had was black, brown, red, or white. A trip to Jo-Ann's or Michael's to get a ribbon would have cost me at least $30! Of course, other fabric would work, but I wouldn't be happy with the raw edge, and this IS all about easy!



I think anyone would love to get a gift like this, especially since you took some time to make it special.



I will be joining:

Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Seasonal Sunday at The Tablescaper

Sisters Sunday at Sisters of the Wild West

More the Merrier Monday at DIY Home Sweet Home

Show & Tell Monday at The Delectable Home

Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

You're Gonna Love It Tuesday at Kathe with an E

Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick


Be sure to check out my sister's blog at Robin Flies South...

19 comments:

Robin said...

This is so easy and I love the combination of the rought burlap with the delicate plant.

Robin
Robin Flies South

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

Charming! I need to bring a hostess gift soon; this might be it!
Nancy

Entertaining Women said...

Consider the idea stolen! Thanks. CherryKay

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

That's clever! My sister stayed with me, then for Easter we went to my eldest daughter's for dinner...sis brought the prettiest tulips and was saying how much she hated the plastic...I said "Hey! I have some burlap, let's wrap it."

I thought I was being so danged clever.....but it sagged and was so weird looking. YOU, on the other hand fixed the problem perfectly - brilliant.

Love blogging, it helps us so much just do BETTER in life, doesn't it!!

Thank you!

Chubby Chieque said...

Absolutely charming...

We had the same idea but I didn't flipped in the ribbon without just tied around and voilá! A smart and easy idea §;-)

Great job Elaine...

Happy Sunday.
/CC

Snap said...

This is wonderful and I think I have some burlap! Thank you for the idea!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Great simple project. Thanks.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

what a wonderful idea for wrapping these -- I too grew up learning that you always take some little 'hostess gift' whenever invited somewhere! I think it's just a lovely thing to do and glad to hear someone else does it too!

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't LOVE one of those. Great idea, and so very pretty and easy! Thank you!

Michele said...

Who wouldn't want to get a spiffed-up plant like that? Very cute.

Unknown said...

So cute and a great tutorial too!

The Tablescaper said...

Cute idea.

Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Kathe said...

So cute! And thanks for the pictures with the how to! When I saw the first picture I was like"now how'd she get the ribbon in??" Whew! Now I know :-) Thanks for linking this up at
http://www.kathewithane.com/2012/04/youre-gonna-love-it-tuesdays-2.html
Have an awesome week!

Kathleen said...

Love it! Used to do this with my class to make Mother's Day gifts. If I couldn t get burlap cheap, what ever remnants i could get would do. Good idea for shower take homes too!

Anonymous said...

This is a cute idea.
Pat

Scribbler said...

Thanks so much for stopping by! This is a very cute idea and would certainly make the recipient feel special.

Tisha Clapp said...

So cute & simple! What a great idea for a hostess gift. Thanks for linking up.

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful idea, and burlap is so "in" right now. Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea.

Muhammad Atif said...

This is a very cute idea and would certainly make the recipient feel special, Send gifts to Pakistan from UK.