Saturday, April 21, 2012

No Sew No Glue Placemats!

Last week I created a tablescape featuring placemats I made in a beautiful fabric. Several people asked me how I made them, so I thought I would share it in a post.


Here are the placemats!





I fell in love with this fabric, which I found at JoAnn's. I bought one yard, with the intention of making napkins. Then, I decided I wanted more of the fabric to show, so I tried to figure out how to create placemats.


I cut the fabric into four equal rectangles. Since I didn't decide to take how-to photos until after I made them, please imagine that this fabric has no creases. If your fabric is soft, you may want to use spray starch.



I took an existing placemat (the stiffer the better) and laid it down on the fabric. You should have at least 3/4 inch of fabric at top, bottom, and sides.



I wrapped the fabric around the placemat and using a hot iron, I pressed it down one side at a time.



I used hospital corners (or whatever they are called) and pressed them until they laid flat.



I flipped it over, and there you have it! A custom made placemat. No sewing and nothing to glue.



I don't think anyone could tell that they are not normal placemats. These would certainly work at a table where food will be served, since the fabric could be washed.



The best thing about this method is that when you don't need them anymore, just pull the fabric off. And, guess what? Five minutes later, I was using the fabric as napkins--with no further ironing or anything.


Now, I would suggest using a second napkin folded with it, since the ones we just made are not finished on both sides. 

Once you try this, you are only limited by the amount of fabrics in the world!

I will be joining:

 Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

Sisters Sunday at Sisters of the Wild West

Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

You're Gonna Love It Tuesday at Kathe with an E

Tutorials & Tips at Home Stories A to Z

Be sure to visit my sister's blog at Robin Flies South...



12 comments:

Kathe said...

Genius! Since I don't sew this tutorial is perfect for me! I will now look at fabric in a whole different way! I'd love it if you shared this at my new link party starting on Tuesday!
www.kathewithane.com

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Absolutely brilliant.

And SO PERFECT using holiday placemats you can't use the rest of the year - or that you purchased on the super clearance after holiday sale.

REALLY GREAT idea!

Robin said...

What a solution to not wanting to use your placmats because you don't want them to get dirty! This is my kind of DIY! And I love fabric with a black background!

Robin
Robin Flies South

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Thanks for sharing, especially since I was one of those curious fans. I am going to go to JoAnn this week and start looking for fabric for placemats. Such an easy idea. Love it!!

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
Your placemats are Gorgeous you did a great job, I also love the color. You know I make my napkins now it looks like placemats are next for my tablescape. I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my Earth Day table. I also hope you have a wonderful week with your family.
XXOO Diane

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Great idea for a quick change...this fabric is perfect for spring and look so pretty!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Ingenius, Elaine! It's like a slipcover for a placemat! : )

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Very smart! That's a perfect idea and allows you to customize rather easily!

Denise said...

Where were you last week when I needed you!

HA!

That's a great idea. So easy and fast when you're in the middle of a time crunch.
Thanks.

Maria Elena said...

Thank you so much for sharing this idea! I have been wanting to replace my placemats on my breakfast table and I was going to start making my own, but this is better! Now I can change them anytime I want!

Alycia Nichols said...

Well done! This is a lifesaver for those of us who are unable/have little-to-no-desire-to-learn how to sew! Great tutorial, Elaine!

Laura said...

What a great idea! your table looks beautiful!