Sunday, April 15, 2012

Painting Glass With Morse Code!

I had never painted on glass, but I had an idea for a tablescape and I wanted painted wine glasses for it. I went online and found several great sites describing the process. Why is this one different? Because this one is for the non-artists in the world. Or, those with unsteady hands. All you need to know is Morse Code!


Okay, Morse Code is nothing more than dots and dashes. And, that's all this paint treatment is! First step is buying the paint. This paint from Delta got the best reviews, and is the easiest because it doesn't require baking the glass. I bought it at Michael's!



You will need two brushes, and a paint tray is nice to have.



Start out with clean glasses.



The paint set comes with glass conditioner. Use a large brush and only cover the area you will be painting.



As it dries, the glass will appear cloudy.



You will need a general idea of how you want the glasses to look. This container will be the inspiration for my glasses.



You will need a way of painting in a straight line, and the best way is to put rubber bands around the glasses. Rubber bands disappear in my house (Eddie likes to play with them) so I used tape instead. You will see where this guide comes in handy.



I will be using a small paintbrush.



I will use three colors of paint.



Here is where the dashes come in.



I didn't do anything fancy. The place you first put your brush down will be thicker than when you lift it up. Just make dashes. And reload the brush for each dash.



Now, it's time for the dots. This is done with the other end of your paintbrush.



Just place the dot in the middle of your dashes. Reload for each dot. The dots will flatten out as they dry.



After making the center of each flower, I went back and filled in the rest of the petals (more dashes)!



Last, but not least, I made a stem and two leaves. These are dashes also. I just added a slight curve.



That's it! Now, I have custom wine glasses!



These wine glasses will be for decoration only, though they can be used, if hand washed.


Now, if all those dashes were intimidating, you can also create petals using dots. These are the first glasses I painted.



Here they are in a tablescape.








I hope you will be inspired to try this. It helps to have a glass you can practice on. You can start using glasses from a dollar store or thrift shop. Not counting the glasses, the supplies were under $10!

I will be joining:

 Metamorphosis Monday and Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps On The Porch.

Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing.

Mad Skills at Mad In Crafts.

CraftOManiac Monday at Craftomaniac.

Make It Monday at Brassy Apple.


You're Gonna Love It Tuesday at Kathe with an E

What I Whipped Up Wednesday at Sugar and Dots

Before & After at Thrifty Decor Chick

Be sure to visit my sister's blog at Robin Flies South...

13 comments:

Marites said...

you've done great with the glass painting. I wish i could do that.

Envoy-ette said...

This is great! What a clever idea! It really makes it a personal touch.

Robin said...

These came out great but you are the artist in the family!

Robin
Robin Flies South

Elaine said...

Robin, I put myself in the "unsteady hand" category!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow, such a talent!

Please come and see my Mellow Yellow, when you get a chance. Have a great week!

PS. Now following your blog.

Deborah Kay at The Paint Splash said...

REALLY cute! Blessings, Debbie

Barbara said...

You are so clever! These are so adorble and perfect for your table. Well done!

Barbara said...

You are so clever! These are so adorble and perfect for your table. Well done!

Leah H. said...

Fun, fun, fun..I like to paint too..


Visiting for MYM- hope you can stop by:)

http://www.cassandrasminicorner.com/2012/04/mellow-yellow-monday-pooh-backpack.html

Jessica said...

what a talent you have...that is so neat :-) great job :-) Dropping by from MYM

http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/peach-my-new-favorite-ice-cream-flavor/

Kathe said...

You make it look so easy! I am a non painter but I think I can attempt this. I have some glass in the basement I can practice on! Thank you for linking this up at my very first link party @kathewithane!

Candy said...

Hi....I ran into your post over at Kathe's (with an e) and had to come visit. Love your glasses. You did great. If you get a chance, please come visit me at pickinandpaintin.blogspot.com. I've done some lampshades there that will remind you of the same technique you've used here. Maybe you'll decide to follow me while you're there. I'm your newest follower. 8-)

new york neurologist said...

Im so willing to learn this new stuff.